Tuesday 26 June 2012

Oversized Statements: Lighting Design



I was in Lille last year (and this year too) and visited one of it's popular museums. The Palais des Beaux de Arts de Lille (the Museum of Fine Arts of Lille). And just by the coat/bag cloakroom in front of the stairs was this giant colourful light
chandelier. I've never
seen anything like it.The chandeliers (there are two of them~the first one is by the entrance but not as colourful) were designed by Gaetano Pesce, an Italian architect and designer. They are made out of coloured glass tiles.

But to really put  into perspective how big I am talking about, here's the lighting feature again, below, with my then 9-year old son standing underneath it. Now that's gigantic! It kinda looks like a big papier-mache ceiling light shade. 


So I am a 'little' bit obsessed with oversize features in design as they stand out (obviously) and create the ultimate focal point.Your eyes are instantly drawn towards the object/feature. I see them as 'conversation-starters'!

As usual I hunt around the world wide web to see if there are any other striking like designs. Here are a few ......

Would you have one of these oversize lights in your home or office? 
}My take on 'oversized' lighting ~ For sure you can't miss it, so on trend and will make any space speak for itself!~ 

1 comment:

  1. I like the look of these lights but like you say they are slightly oversized!

    ReplyDelete